How is My Spouse Served With the Initial Paperwork?

The most common methods of service are acceptance of service and personal service. Acceptance of service involves having the opposing party or his/her lawyer sign a document before a notary public acknowledging receipt of the legal documents. The document the party or lawyer signs is called an “Acceptance of Service.” The date of service is the date the Acceptance of Service was signed before the notary public. Personal service occurs when a licensed process server delivers the papers to the other spouse in perosn. With persoanl service, the spouse being served is not required to sign anything. Instead, the process server files an affidavit with the court confirming delivery of the documents on the person who was served.